Owning a home is not something that most of us have the pleasure of having, and this means that if you have one, you need to keep it secure because it holds all your valuable. Your home is your safe space, and you don’t want anyone to infringe on that and spoil the sanctity of your home.
You can’t avoid or prevent burglary, but you can do your best to make it difficult for the burglars to break into your home. So, without further ado, let’s dive into this blog and learn more about some of our tips to keep your home secure.
Things to consider
- Camera: Most security systems nowadays come with an integrated camera, and this allows you to keep an eye on your home when you aren’t there. You can have both indoor and outdoor cameras, which ensure that you have a 24/7 feed of what’s going on near your place.
- Sirens: Most security systems nowadays come with an integrated siren that is loud enough to deter and scare off any intruders. The volume of the siren ranges from 85 decibels which is about as loud as a kitchen blender, to 110 decibels which is as loud as a motorcycle.
- Keypad: Most, if not all, new security systems on the market come with a featured keypad and fob. They allow you to arm and disarm your alarm easier, and this can also be done via an app. This is a very useful option in our books when you have to let someone in your home when you are not there.
- Sensors: Alarm manufacturers today provide a mix of sensors in their alarm bundle, and the onus is on you to work out the combination that you need for your property (this will depend on your budget and the size of your home).
- Installation: Most models of home security systems nowadays have been tested, and you usually need to install them yourself (they will provide you with all the necessities like sticky pads and/or screws). When doing this, make sure that you are putting the cameras and/or sirens high enough on your wall. Preferably anywhere between 5 to 8 feet, and ensure that your pets don’t set them off.
Smart home security systems usually cost anywhere from 250 to 400 dollars, and this usually includes a hub, a few sensors, and sometimes even a camera. One sensor usually costs around 20 to 30 dollars, but this depends on their brand, while cameras start at around 100 to 150 dollars.
So you have to create a budget for this as this will create a significant dent in your budget. You should also remember that you have to stick to the same brand all around. This is because everything connects to the same system, and different brands may connect with some kind of interference.
Are they worth the cost?
For me, the pros trump the cons, and a smart home security system offers you peace of mind that you wouldn’t have otherwise. No matter if you live in the suburbs, a city, or a rural town, a home security system is always a safe bet.
They allow you to ensure that your home is safe and protected at all times, and you can verify this even if you aren’t in the same city or even country, which makes it worthwhile for us. An alarm is one of the main things that deter burglars from breaking and entering the sanctity of your safe space.
Sound off in the comments section below and tell us what you want to read next and if you want to read more about smart home security systems.