Home Automation and Security: How Does It Work?
– The characteristics and advantages of home automation for security
– Home automation equipment for security
– Price of home automation systems
Home automation is the set of techniques allowing to control, automate and program a home. Security is one of its main fields of application, from presence simulation to real-time alerts via SMS or e-mail, without forgetting the possibility of controlling the whole installation remotely. All that remains is to choose the right equipment for your needs.
Characteristics and advantages of home security systems
Able to adapt to the technical constraints of the house to be secured, to adapt to your needs and habits, but also to evolve according to them, the home automation security system has interesting features:
- It can simulate a presence thanks to the random programming of lights and television, for example, to dissuade unwanted intrusions.
- It triggers an automatic alert in case of attempted intrusion or problems (smoke, water, or gas leakage, etc.) via a text message or e-mail that is sent to you, a security agency, a police station, a close friend, etc., according to pre-established guidelines. The alarm can also be triggered via a siren and possibly a flash of light in case of an intrusion attempt.
- Depending on the programming you have done, the home automation system triggers automatic corrective measures: closing the shutters, cutting off the water supply, etc. Furthermore, it allows remote control and monitoring to verify that the action is correctly performed, or you may cancel it. In addition, you can visualize your home with any cameras, etc.
Warning: a home automation security system can always be hacked since it is connected to the Internet. To protect yourself as much as possible, choose systems with encrypted data and whose information is stored in a secure cloud.
Home automation security equipment
The home automation of security is based on the interaction of various types of equipment within a home automation system controlled by a dedicated central.
The control unit
It is a control center that allows to link all the security accessories and to control them. The control panel receives the information transmitted by the different detectors and accessories, analyzes it to react in real-time and initiate scenarios.
These scenarios are numerous. They can be pre-programmed or created according to your needs. Anti-intrusion triggers an alarm that directs the cameras to film the burglars and closes the shutters, for example, while immediately giving the alert. During your vacations, it manages the lighting, controls the shutters, activates music and even false dog barking, programs the watering of the garden, etc.
And if you forget to close a window or turn off a water supply, no worries, it can be closed automatically or remotely via a simple smartphone, tablet, or computer.
The alarm is still today a very effective deterrent system. Although a burglary occurs every 3 minutes, in 95% of cases, a simple audible alarm can cause the burglars to flee.
Anti-intrusion, they are opening detectors (doors and windows) and motion detectors. Technical, they take the form of smoke detectors, gas detectors, water detectors, etc. You can also use them to detect breakdowns in domestic equipment (refrigerators, boilers, etc.) and anti-drowning detectors for swimming pools.
Even in complete darkness, cameras film strategic locations in the home. All you need to do is connect to the Internet to see what is happening in real-time (or even record it) and move the cameras.
Some models include a microphone and a speaker, such as talking to a child when he comes back from school. The higher-end ones add facial recognition, but the price goes up accordingly.
Note: there are dummy cameras at a low cost, but they are still effective in making an intruder believe he is being filmed.
From now on, there is no need for a lock and no risk of losing your keys. Access to the house can be done by digicode or by biometry via your fingerprints; hence we call it home automation.
Automation allows, for example, to automatically program the opening of a window to ventilate and closing in case of rain, closing the shutters at a given time, watering the garden, etc. Everything is possible and depends on your budget.
Price of home automation security systems
You can find home automation systems and accessories in DIY stores, specialized stores, and the Internet.
You can expect to pay around $200 for a home automation box, including the control unit and an alarm, to which you can add the equipment of your choice. For example, you can buy a motion detector for about $50, count about $80 for the biometric handle, and from about $80 for the camera.